Ski or Snowboard
Starting out on skis or a snowboard can be a very daunting task - especially if it is your first time at an alpine resort. At Falls Creek we have made things easy for you, learn to ski or snowboard by with a number of beginner-focused Snowsports School programs*.
These programs* all feature tuition from one of our professional instructors along with a Lift Pass that gives you access to lifts and terrain suitable for your experience and ability.
* THIS CAN ONLY BE PURCHASED IN RESORT
LEARN TO SKI PROGRAM
The Learn to Ski Program is ideal for those who are new to Skiing and are staying at the resort for a number of days. The program offers beginner lessons which are 1hr 50 mins at 10.30am and 1 hr 20min at 1.30pm, plus a Lift Pass Progression that opens up to more terrain the longer you stay to allowing you to progress onto more challenging runs.
LIFT PASS PROGRESSION BREAKDOWN
Day 1 (BEGINNER) Access to Falls Express, Gully & Eagle Chairs plus Mouse Trap, Monkey Bar and Boardwalk surface lifts combined with a 2½ hour beginner group lesson.
Beginner lessons Times: 10.30am or 1.30pm. Duration is 1 hr 50 min or 1 hr 20 min (1.30pm option)
*Learn to Ski Ticket Lift Pass is limited to lift access as stipulated above
ADULT (18 - 64 years)
CHILD (6 - 17 years)
Learn to Ski/Board incl Rental
*Terms and Conditions Apply (See Below)
FOR CHILDREN (6-17 YEARS)
A single day Learn to Ski Ticket and Lesson is available for children at the cost of $72 or $107 with rental included. For multiple days children will move on to the Snowclub, Junior Workshop or Teen Academy Programs.
LEARN TO RIDE PROGRAM
Falls Creek have teamed up with Burton to bring you a program designed to enhance your first experience on a snowboard. Burton Learn to Ride gives you expert and personalised training with instructors on a beginner friendly Burton snowboard suited to your ability.
Your Burton LTR (learn to ride) board features a softer flex, radical sidecut, and forgiving edge bevel, all of which are designed to maximise progression and confidence.
WHERE DO I GO?
The meeting point for all lessons is at the front of Cloud 9, there will be marked flags for each level - this is at the top of the Halley’s Comet chairlift.
We recommend joining the Halley’s Comet line in Slalom Plaza 30 minutes before the lesson start time should give you enough time.
SKI & SNOWBOARD LESSON GRADING LEVELS
Just like our ski trails, the Falls Creek Snowsports School grading system for adults and kids programs is just like our ski trails. Our programs are graded green, blue and black with the addition of yellow for first time skiers and boarders.
- You have never skied before or would like to start from the very beginning.
- If you’ve never skied before, consider a Learn to Ski Program.
- This specialised program lets you access the lifts best suited to beginners, saving the rest of the resort until tomorrow!
- You have never boarded before or would like to start from
the very beginning.
- If you’ve never skied before, consider a Learn to Ride Program.
- This reduced price pass and lesson combo lets you access the lifts best suited to beginners and opens up new terrain as you progress
- You can snow plough stop and would like to learn to snow plough turn on green terrain.
- You will progress with you balance on both edges, develop direction change and speed control.
- You can snow plough turn on green runs such as Wombats Ramble and would like to learn how to match the skis parallel.
- You are comfortable on Green terrain and would like to try a blue.
- You can sideslip on one or both edges. You will further balance on both edges and develop direction and speed control.
- You can do falling leaf, traverse across the hill on both edges and do a controlled stop. You will learn/improve single turns on both edges.
- You are comfortable on green terrain like Drovers Dream
and would like to try a blue slope
- You can ski parallel through most of the turn and would like to learn how to have a parallel start.
- You can ski parallel for all of the turns on blue terrain such as Ruined Castle and would like to learn how to carve parallel turns.
- You are comfortable on Blue Terrain and would like to try a black slope.
- You can do single turns on both edges, and will develop our linked turns on green runs.
- You can link turns on green runs, and will learn to refine your riding technique on blue runs.
- When ready, we can try some basic freestyle in the Terrain Park.
- You are comfortable on blue terrain and would like to try a black slope.
- You can comfortably ski black terrain and would like to learn a variety of turn shapes on black terrain.
- You would like to learn how to ski bumps and challenging types of terrain.
- You can easily ski the whole mountain and would like to refine your technique in bumps, racing, off piste, steeps and our skiing in all types of conditions.
- You will learn to ride steeper terrain and switch.
- You will learn flat-land tricks, basic carving and basic Terrain Park etiquette.
- You can turn confidently on black terrain, ride switch on green terrain and are competent in hitting basic Terrain Park features.
- You are comfortable on all black terrain and would like to explore the off piste.
*Terms and Conditions
- Group lessons must have a minimum three people. For less than 3 people the duration of the lesson is 1 hour
- Multiple lessons must be purchased for the same guest.
- All 2 and 3 day group lessons are valid for consecutive days. 4 of 6; 5 of 7; 6 of 8 and 7 of 9 day lesson products allow for rest days.
- Senior – 65 years plus. Must produce proof of age to purchase product and receives 50% off the Adult Rate. Only Group lessons are discounted for Seniors – Private Lessons are not.
- Prices do NOT include the $5.00 Snow Pass Card fee.
- A Falls Creek/Hotham Snow Pass Card is required when purchasing a lift ticket and lesson products. This includes under 5 & over 70’s and these cards can be reloaded (not only this season but in future seasons).
- The Snow Pass Card fee is applicable for guests who do not already have a re-loadable Hotham/Falls Creek Snow Pass Card.
- If a card is lost or stolen, a replacement card will be required to be purchased.
- To book a private lesson phone the Snowsports School on 03 5758 1070