Junior Workshop programs have an emphasis on fun and safety, while teaching essential skills for young skiers and snowboarders to develop a love of the snow.
Our Junior Workshop programs offer:
- A safe and supportive environment with our friendliest instructors
- A progressive learning experience with children arranged into groups based on ability and age*
- A purpose-built area, fitted with its own private kitchen and toilet facilities
- A fully catered lunch, as well as access to water throughout the day
- Indoor staff to assist with any of your child's needs
- Skip lift lines with our priority loading
- Your child will explore the mountain in ways they've never seen before!
*July - August only, during peak periods.
Full Day Lesson:
- Drop off and Registration: from 9:15 AM to 9:45 AM for grading
- Lessons Commence: 10:00 AM
- Pick Up: 2:50 PM
Full Day lessons include lunch.
Junior Workshop is located next to Cloud 9 restaurant, at the top of Halley’s Comet Chairlift. Access Halley's Comet chairlift from Slalom Plaza or if you're staying closer to the Village Bowl, you can ride Eagle Express Chairlift and catch the free Eagle Shuttle over to Cloud 9^.
If you can ski or snowboard down advanced green runs, you can also access Junior Workshop by skiing or riding from Eagle Express to Cloud 9.
If you and/or your child have never skied before, we highly recommend that you carry your skis on the lift to allow for easier and safer loading and unloading. You can ride both Halley's Comet and Eagle Express without skis or a snowboard on. Our friendly Lift Operators are on hand to ensure safe loading of you and your child.
Parents or guardians are able to accompany their child onto the lift for pick up and drop off without a lift pass if they are not skiing or boarding that day. If you are choosing to ski or board that day, you will be required to have a valid adult lift pass.
^Eagle Shuttle runs during peak times only. Download the Falls Creek App from the App Store to confirm whether the Eagle Shuttle is operational during your stay.
Here is a list of essentials to pack for your child’s Junior Workshop lesson:
- A valid Snow Pass card, with Snowclub loaded onto it
- Skis or Snowboard
- Ski or Snowboard Boots – these should be on your child’s feet when they arrive at Junior Workshop
- Ski Poles
- Helmet (compulsory for all children & teens in Falls Creek Snowsports Programs)
- Goggles and/or sunglasses to protect your child’s eyes from glare
- Waterproof snow pants and jacket
- Warm layers under outerwear
- Ski socks (not cotton)
- Waterproof mittens or gloves
- Neck warmer/ tube or Balaclava
- Sunscreen SPF 15 or higher
- Any special nut free food and/or medications (note that our Children’s Snowsports Centres are a nut free zones)
Falls Creek's Helmet Policy requires that all participants in Children's Snowsports Programs, plus any programs that access our terrain parks, race courses or similar activities wear an approved snowsports helmet. Click here to view Falls Creek’s Helmet Policy.
Please review the Snowsports School Information Sheet for a comprehensive checklist and further information on getting your child ready for Junior Workshop.
- If you're new to skiing you'll learn about your equipment, how to move around, balance and glide, and how to snowplough and stop.
- You will learn the basic skills needed to start riding, including getting mobile and side slipping.
- You can snow plough stop and would like to learn to snow plough turn on green terrain.
- You can snow plough turn on green terrain and would like to learn how to match the skis parallel. You are very comfortable on green terrain and would like to try a blue.
- You can sideslip on one or both edges. You will further progress with your balance on both edges, whilst developing your direction and speed control.
- We can do falling leaf, traverse across the hill on both edges, and do a controlled stop. You will learn and improve your single turns on both edges.
- You can make Stem Christie turns on most blue runs like Main Street and Highway 83. You will learn how to ski open parallel turns.
- You can make open parallel turns on blue terrain. Once making parallel turns and using your poles on all blue runs, you will begin to ski comfortably on groomed black runs.
- We can do single turns on both edges or some linked turns. We will learn and improve your linked turns on blue runs.
- You can link turns on green runs. We will learn to refine our riding technique on blue runs. When ready, we can try some basic freestyle and the terrain park.
- You can make carved turns on blue and black terrain, and learn how to ski in varied snow conditions. You will work on skill development, tactics and versatility at a high level.
- You can make strong parallel turn and can ski black terrain in all conditions. You will learn to ski the race course, bumps and all terrain in any snow conditions. We will be fine tuning skills at the highest level and carve turns through to expert skiing.
- You can ride blue terrain with refined techniques. We will learn to ride steeper terrain and learn switch, flat-land tricks, basic carving and basic terrain park, including etiquette.
- You can turn confidently on black terrain, ride switch on green runs and are competent in hitting basic terrain park features.
Advanced skiing and snowboarding skills will also work on the following:
- Freestyle: kickers, rails and advanced boxes
- Freeride: off-piste, powder, tree runs and bumps
- Carving: dynamic carving technique
Pre-purchase online to save yourself time and money. Lessons can also be booked in resort at The Home Base, Base One, Base Two, Slalom Plaza Ticket Office and the Snowsports School Office in Cloud 9.
For further enquiries, contact our friendly Sales and Reservations team via phone or email.
Phone: 03 5758 1000